Our NEW Kiln Dam Half-Sets allow you to mix and match sizes, based on the size of your kiln and kiln shelf.
Kiln Dam Half-Sets Contain:
- Half sets now come in 8 sizes (7", 9", 10", 12", 15", 18", 21", 24")
- Half sets contain 2 pieces of ultra-smooth ceramic, plus a second set of thicker/heavier firebricks.
- For a whole set, you should purchase 2 half sets (4 ceramic pieces & bricks).
- Buying additional half sets gives you more flexibility on your kiln shelf
- For example, 10", 15", and 21" half-sets work well in an oval kiln
Buy 2 Half-Sets, or buy the components separately (see items below)
- You can buy the Ultra-Smooth Dams - 2 pieces of smooth ceramic in 8 sizes
- You can also buy just the thicker/heavier firebricks.
FOR MORE INFORMATION, CHECK OUT THESE FREEBIES
Using Coachella Glassworks Kiln Dam Half Sets
Choosing the Right Size Kiln Dam Half Sets
Caring for Extruded Kiln Shelves
Kiln Dam Half-Sets - Benefits & Suggestions:
- Provides the best outcomes for your multi-layered glass artwork.
- Great also for thicker frit-based compositions.
- Minimizes coldwork (FREE Course to Minimize Coldworking) to nearly zero in multi-layered work. You usually only need a few minutes of minor clean-up with a hand pad.
- For thicker frit-based compositions, use the tip of a spoon to move a bit of frit slightly away from the dams. Create a slightly rounded edge to your frit, to reduce the "spikes" that can occur next to your dams.
- Dams should generally extend at least 1-2" beyond the edge of the glass. For an 8" x 10" glass project use a 10" half-set and a 12" half set (or two 12" half sets).
- Note: If your dams are too much longer than the glass, they may extend out so much they no longer fit on your kiln shelf.
- Dams should be covered with shelf paper (thin-fire or Papyrus), or sprayed with Zyp (or any boron nitride product) to prevent the glass from bonding to the dams during firing.
- You can also use thicker fiber paper as a release barrier, but the texture in fiber paper will give you a rougher edge. Use shelf paper against the smooth ceramic for a smoother edge.